Context of the project:
The World Organization for Animal Health (WOAH), previously known as the “Office international des epizooties” (OIE), was created on 25 January 1924. Its headquarters are in Paris. The WOAH comprises 182 Member Countries and is present on all continents through 12 (Sub-) Regional Representations.
The WOAH is the intergovernmental organization responsible for improving animal health worldwide, veterinary public health and animal welfare worldwide, as well as transparency of the global animal disease situation.
The WOAH is furthermore recognized by the World Trade Organization as the reference organization for intergovernmental standards concerning the sanitary safety of international trade of animals and products of animal origin and zoonoses.
Positioning and reporting lines
The Project Manager will work under the direct supervision of the One Health Global Coordinator in the Institutional Affairs and Regional Activities Directorate in the World Organization for Animal Health (WOAH).
The project manager will communicate with members of WOAH internal One Health (OH) Taskforce for the implementation of related activities and will be exposed to the One Health frameworks and tools and will assist in contributing to foster One Health work at WOAH.
The Project Manager will contribute to the needs of the WOAH and Istituto Superiore di Sanita’ (ISS, Italy) to better understand and assess the relationship among climate and environment changes, ecosystem health, biodiversity loss, sustainability of animal farming and the emergence and spread of diseases that impact on animal health and welfare.
She/he is responsible for supporting the operationalisation of One Health for relevant activities in the Quadripartite OH Joint Plan of Action outlined under Action Track 6 on the environment and health and will also collaborate with relevant colleagues on the implementation for the Nature for Health Multi-Partner Trust Fund, including on evidence, action and policy, enabling conditions and lasting collaboration and governance structures;
She/he is responsible for the development of a project proposal in line with the objectives and expectations outlined in the MoU signed between the WOAH and the ISS and Annex1 on the technical areas to be covered under the MOU.
Finally, She/he will be in charge of the operational implementation of the project and responsible for ensuring the timely and successful delivery of activities in line with its objectives and will advise on the implementation of technical activities.
Responsibilities and activities
1- Draft the One Health project proposal:
- Define the project scope, objectives and governance while ensuring project alignment with set goals and also expectations of the WOAH and the ISS.
- Participate in and contribute to the preparation of background documents and progress reports for relevant governance bodies.
- Provide project evaluation feedback and share lessons learned to inform decision-making and develop best practices.
2- Ensure the management and implementation of the project:
- Contribute to the development of a detailed project management plan to monitor and track progress.
- Identify risks, and analyse, propose, and manage mitigation measures that may impact the timely delivery of the project.
- Develop a project monitoring and evaluation framework including performance metrics, and track project performance.
- Ensure that the project delivers outputs on time, within scope, and within budget.
- Manage all procurement processes under the project, ensuring compliance with WOAH rules.
- Where relevant, support the management of sub-grants, ensuring reporting, budget forecasting, expenditure tracking and work plan monitoring.
- Contribute, in collaboration with the Engagement and Investment Department of the WOAH, to the periodic reports required by the partner organisation.
3- Provide overall project coordination:
- Ensure information sharing and collaboration with the project partners and other stakeholders.
- Maintain regular communication with the operational partners to ensure synergy and complementarity of actions and interventions.
- Liaise with other WOAH Headquarters department and Regional and Sub-regional offices involved in the implementation of the project.
- Ensure implementation of activities sub-awarded, outsourced, or delegated to partners throughout the project, including experts, partner institutions, and external suppliers.
4- Contribute to project communication and advocacy:
- Organise and support workshops, meetings, and conferences relevant to the project.
- Develop and implement a communication plan, liaising with the WOAH Communications Department.
- Represent the WOAH at external meetings as relevant.
- Provide topic specific advice on matters relating to the project.
- Contribute to drafting papers, articles, and other relevant informative technical and communication material to promote the project’s objectives.
Qualification and Experiences
- Graduate degree in Veterinary Science or Medicine, Veterinary Public Health (VPH), Public Health, Environment, or related fields;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in One Health, including at least 3 years of experience particularly in a national or regional, or other international organisation;
- Demonstrated experience of strategic planning, programme management, capacity building, monitoring and evaluation and results reporting.
- Professional experience in a National Veterinary, Public Health Authority, Environment or equivalent.
- Perfect command of English, written and spoken
- Excellent writing and presentation skills;
- Ability to summarise complex technical discussions into clear and concise documents and reports;
- Knowledge and understanding of the One Health approach; particularly drivers of zoonotic disease emergence and spread including climate change and biodiversity loss
- Knowledge and understanding of food safety issues
- Knowledge of WOAH international standards and guidelines, including the PVS as well as the WHOInternational Health Regulations (IHR 2005);
- Knowledge and understanding and the mandates and roles of partners in the Quadripartite.
- Experience in the implementation of relevant strategies;
- Good knowledge of French or Spanish would be an asset;
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multinational and multicultural environment;
- Work effectively and flexibly with counterparts in external organisations;
- Ability to identify key information, conduct critical analyses, and synthesise logical proposals or advice;
- Situational intelligence and excellent communication skills, including advocacy, on sensitive topics;
- Proactive attitude and information sharing to prevent situations and seize opportunities that may be useful to the WOAH;
- Ability to make presentations, lead groups, and contribute to the facilitation of trainings;
- Capacity to learn and a self-motivated worker;
- Excellent organisation skills and ability to meet specific deadlines.
Salary: Monthly base salary from 3.000€ net per month (commensurate with qualifications and experience) plus benefits, exempt of French income tax.
Duration: Two (2) years – Renewable.
The post is a full-time position based at the WOAH Headquarters in Paris.
It requires long hours in a seated position at a computer.
The WOAH attaches great importance to a multicultural and positive working environment.
The WOAH is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of their ethnic origin, gender, opinions or beliefs.
If you are interested in this internship, please complete your online application by 21 March 2023 by clicking on the link below.
Please note that only applications including a resume and a cover letter will be considered.
APPLY HERE https://urlz.fr/kWTb